Berwick Artists Society
About Berwick Artists Society
Berwick Artists Society Inc. as formed in 1992 by a group of local artists keen to share their passion of the visual arts.
Our purpose is to provide a group environment encouraging local emerging, professional and hobby artists, and members of the community to network, develop their skills and contribute to art within the community.
The Society has since grown to become one of the major art societies in the City of Casey and surrounding Southeast region.
Painting demonstrations, workshops and exhibitions are held in the Function Room at the historic Old Cheese Factory, 34 Homestead Road, Berwick, throughout the year, excepting public and Christmas holidays.
We have monthly demonstrations by visiting professional artists and the public is invited to attend. Please see the link for upcoming artists and entry fees.
Our Mission Statement: The mission of the Berwick Artists Society is to foster all forms of visual art by offering attractive and beneficial activities that will enhance artistic knowledge, skills and opportunities within a mutually supportive and strong social environment.
This year seems to be going so fast, but here at Berwick Artists Society we're relaxed and enjoying things. Already a couple of fabulous Demonstration Nights are under our belt, the Thursday Painting Group is bubbling, and we're looking forward to our exhibition in...read more
Demonstrating his use of pastels, Louis enthralled his audience with a wonderful description as he created his Impressionistic landscape..read more
Each month professional artists demonstrate in a variety of mediums for approximately two hours.
The evening begins at 7:00pm for a prompt start by the demonstrator at 7:30pm.
The general public is welcome, see below for entry fee.
There will be a short interval for refreshments and members are asked to bring a plate of food to share.
At the end of the evening, the winners of the members’ Monthly Art Competition are announced.
We have some truly incredible demonstrators, and everyone can learn something new each night, so come along and enjoy an evening with a difference and it just might make all the difference to your own way of looking at your art.
2018 Demonstration Nights
May 23 Julian Beure Watercolour – Landscape
June 27 Robert Knight Oils – Seascape
July 25 AGM and mid-year Soiree
August 22 Linda Finch Pastels – Landscape
September 26 Julie Goldspink Watercolour – Floral
October 24 Peter Smales Oils
November 28 It Hoa Pheh Watercolour – Streetscape/landscape
Members are invited to bring along one painting per appropriate section (must be your own work), to the Demonstration Night to be judged by the visiting artist. Points are awarded for entering, and for the winners and runners-up in each category. These points are tallied at the end of the year and trophies awarded.
Category A is for accomplished artists. Category B is for emerging artists, and the annual winner of this Category progresses to Category A the following year. The demonstrating artist judges the Categories. Members may enter only one picture, not shown or judged before and painted or drawn within the last 12 months. Subject matter, style and medium is up to the individual.
Certificates will still be awarded each month for first and second place in each Category and there are points merely for entering. The points are accumulated during the year with results tallied and presentations made at our Christmas function. Art work can only be entered once. The artist’s name and title of picture must be clearly labelled on the back of the work. Rules for the competition are available at demonstration nights.
You are also welcome to bring along any of your work to have on show. It will not be judged or form part of the monthly competition, but it’s always interesting to see what our artists are capable of. It may not be a painting – sculpture, photography, embroidery, whatever you like to bring, we’d like to see what you do.
Winners of the April competition were:
Category A First – Kevin Weeks “T.P. It’s Autumn” (pictured) Runner-up – Leanne Brown “Benjamin”
Category B First – Mary Murphy “Hayley’s Turtle” (pictured) Runner-up – Iain Johnston ” Back of the Ocean Iona”
Function Room, The Old Cheese Factory, 34 Homestead Road, Berwick, Victoria Melways 131 A2
4th Wednesday of the month (except December, January & public holidays)
7pm – 10pm
Members: $10, Visitors: $12 Couples $15, Students under 22: $5
The Old Cheese Factory
Catherine Hamilton – April Demonstrator
Catherine’s audience was enthralled as she created a vase of flowers using mixed media and some quite different tecniques.
Demonstrating his use of pastels, Louis enthralled his audience with a wonderful description as he created his Impressionistic landscape..
Thursday Painting Group
We meet every Thursday between 11.30am and 2.30pm in the Function Room at the Old Cheese Factory. It’s a fun gathering where we all chat, have a lot of laughs and discuss each other’s work. There’s no formal instruction, but plenty of advice from some of our more experienced painters.
Everyone has different styles and paints at different levels: at some point, each of us has joined the group wondering how our own level of expertise will be accepted. But everyone who comes along works in his or her own style, and it’s wonderful to greet a new member who has just taken up or just returned to painting. There is no requirement for you to have had previous painting experience!
You can contact a committee member for more details, or simply turn up and have a look. Then, if you’d like to join the Society, please see our Membership Page. Alternatively, you can come along as a visitor.
Bring your lunch, enjoy a coffee. If you’re an oil or acrylic painter, please bring a drop sheet, as the Function Room is carpeted. Freestanding or table easels are available.
We hope to see you soon!
Members …………………. $6.00
Visitors ……………………. $7.00
Monthly Portrait Group
Each month the Berwick Artists Society conducts a two hour portrait group where you can participate in painting or drawing models.
This is a non-tutored class but other members’ help is available.
Models are volunteers so new models are always welcome to sit for the group. Please contact us if you can be our model.
Function Room, The Old Cheese Factory, 34 Homestead Road, Berwick, Victoria Melways 131 A2
On the fourth Thursday of the month commencing February 22nd, 2018
For details contact:
Tel: 03 8786 8607
Each year in the “better weather” months we organise Paint Outs. These are a great opportunity to paint outside with a like-minded group of people.
Members are asked to find their own way to the painting site, with their own equipment and seats. BYO lunch, hat, easel and painting gear. We meet there at 10am promptly.
This activity is free of charge and is of course subject to good weather. Sometimes it has to be cancelled – if in doubt, ring the Paint Out organiser (details below). As this year the weather has been so fine, we’ve added another Paint-out on Tuesday May 8th at Lysterfield Lake, Melway 108 D1 – water, boats, wildlife, people. This will be the last one until the hopefully clement Spring weather.
Painting at Mordialloc Creek in March
We are now working towards our exhibition and sale of works to be held upstairs in the Library at Bunjil Place, open to the public from Saturday June 16th to Thursday June 28th. The new library will provide an excellent exhibition space, and we will have artists demonstrating on-site daily.
Members of the Society can exhibit their work for sale at the Moka Cafe at Beaconsfield and also in the Berwick Chemist Cafe. If you’re interested, please contact the person in charge – see below – to make sure there is space for your work.
For the Chemist Cafe, the display changes on the first Saturday of each month. The first changeover is on February 3rd at 8.30am.
Moka Cafe change-over is also on Saturdays at 2.30pm – the 2018 Moka change-over dates are as follows: April 28th, June 30th, August 25th, October 27th, December 29th.
It’s a great opportunity to have your artistry on display!
Café Moka Shop 1, 53 Old Princes Highway, Beaconsfield, Victoria 3807
Leanne Brown 9799 2550
Berwick Chemist Café, 51 – 53 High Street, Berwick
Mary Murphy 0419 574 859
How to join or renew membership of the Berwick Artists Society
Members and visitors are welcome to attend any of our events and enjoy being part of a vibrant and proactive group of artists with a mutual love of the world of art. Come along our next function to meet other members and to participate in our activities.
If you would like to join the Society, please obtain our Membership Form from the Membership Secretary, at our monthly Demonstration Night or the Thursday Painting Group. Alternatively, download a Membership Form from this site.
To find out more about the Society, contact a Commottee Member, or ask for a Newsletter at your local library -Berwick, Narre Warren, Endeavour Hills, Hampton Park, Cranbourne or Doveton. Membership is from 1 July to 30 June each year.
New members pay the full annual subscription which covers them up to the 30 June of the following year, and provides them with a Society name badge.. Joint membership is available for two artists living at the same address.
If you are joining the Society part-way through our Membership year, please contact the Membership Secretary to make arrangements for part payment of the annual membership subscription.
As a member, you will:
- Receive a quarterly Newsletter with information about the Society and the local art scene, diary dates and venues for upcoming events.
- Be able to attend our Monthly Demonstrations at a special Members’ only entry fee.
- Be able to come to our Thursday Painting and Portrait Groups for a Members’ only fee.
- Have the right to show your work informally by entering our Monthly Competition in an enjoyable contest with other members.
- Have the opportunity to attend our Paint-outs and excursions.
- Have the right to enter your work in Exhibitions organised by the Society.
- Receive discounts on the purchase of art materials at selected suppliers.
By becoming a member, you will benefit not only from the development of your own skills, but from the camaraderie within our Society and the knowledge that you are contributing to the local art scene.
Our Membership Secretary is Maria Wellins 8774 4949 or 0412 745 839
Student (under 22)
Committee of Management
Berwick Artists Society is a society for amateur and professional artists, indeed for anyone having a love of the visual arts. It is incorporated in Victoria, and is run by a small Committee of Management on a volunteer basis.
The committee is voted on each year and members are welcome to apply for positions on the committee or help in other ways such as event planning and general setting up of venues.
If you have skills or business contacts that may benefit the Society please advise the committee
The current composition of the committee of management for 2016/2017 is as follows:
9707 1910 0408 796833 firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President, Newsletter and Website
0448 363 252
Secretary and Publicity Officer
Click on an image to see more of that artist’s work.
Some artworks are for sale – please deal directly with the artist if you wish to purchase, the artist’s contact details are included on items for sale.
The Members’ Gallery is exclusively for members of Berwick Artists Society.
If you wish to exhibit one or more works, please read carefully the conditions below.
Rosemary Stayner “Stringybarks” Watercolour pencil and pen 65×80 $300 Contact Rosemary: 03 9700 1934
Maria Wellins “Under The Sea” Acrylic on Stretched Canvas 76×76 Framed $475 email@example.com
Maria Wellins “Follow The Leader” Acrylic on Stretched Canvas 80×65 Framed $500 firstname.lastname@example.org
Maria Wellins “Cruising Alone” Acrylic on Stretched Canvas 95×65 Framed $500 email@example.com
Members Gallery Conditions
Members Gallery Conditions
Berwick Artists Society Inc. – Members’ Gallery Conditions
Conditions of exhibiting
1. The Gallery will constitute one web page in the Members’ Gallery section of the Society’s web site. To the web visitor it will appear as a series of images, with captions. A Google search under the title Berwick Artists’ Society leads to the Society’s site.
2. There will be no cost to Society members for having a painting in our Gallery, but there will be a limit of 6 paintings per artist. You must supply your images on a USB stick, CD or hard copies, along with the appropriate captioning, (see below).
3. An image of your picture/s will be removed if the member is no longer financial. The image will be of rather low resolution. This is for two reasons: to discourage unscrupulous web visitors from making use of the image for their own purposes and profit; and to keep small the size of the web files being used, so as not unduly to increase the times of downloading from the web, or clogging up the web site too much. The image will be shown without any mounting or frame.
5. Pictures can be changed for no cost, and others added, (up to 6 works), If a picture is sold or if the artist wishes to replace any picture with another, it is up to the artist to supply updated information to the web site coordinator.
6. The caption to each picture should show: the name of the artist, the title of the picture, framed size and the medium. Brief additional descriptive matter can be added. If the picture is for sale the caption should also show relevant details such as: the nature of the ground (eg paper, linen, canvas, MDF board, or whatever), and the overall framed dimensions of the picture, along with the price and the artist’s contact details. If the artist has his/her own website, that information can also be included.
7. The Society takes no responsibility for any possible abuse of the Gallery or its pictures by unscrupulous web visitors. No information about the exhibitor will appear on the site apart from the artist’s name.
8. Any sale of pictures from the Gallery will be by private agreement between the exhibitor and the purchaser. A prospective purchaser will deal with directly with the artist. The Society will not accept any commission on painting sales.
9. The Society understands that the ownership of an image in the Gallery resides with the exhibitor. If this is not the case, the Society should be informed. No legal use may be made of the image by any third party, other than its being exhibited in the Gallery.
10. The exhibiting artist must vouch for the authenticity of the picture as his or her own original work, not copied, and that the description supplied is correct. If the picture has copyright, the exhibitor must hold the copyright.
11. The Society reserves the right to refuse to exhibit any picture, without supplying reasons.
If you wish to contact the Berwick Artists Society Inc. you can contact us at either the postal address supplied or via a committee member directly.
Please note that Berwick Artists Society is run by volunteers, and we will try to respond to your enquiry as quickly as we can.
Berwick Artists Society Inc.
PO Box 496, Berwick, Victoria 3806, Australia
Committee please view committee section
You can now find us on Facebook:
34 Homestead Road
Berwick Victoria 3806
NOTE: Location down with Contact Details?
NOTE: Is map accurate?